Biographical history of northeastern Ohio, embracing the counties of Ashtabula, Trumball and Mahoning Counties    Published 1893


JAMES A COOPER
11 Oct. 1845 - 21 Jan 1929 

James A. Cooper a member of the J. A. & D. P. Cooper Company, is a son of David Cooper, who was born in Coitsville township, Mahoning county, in 1819; here he passed his life, which ended in 1885. He was a man of strict integrity, and enjoyed the confidence of the entire community. His parents were David and Rebecca (Armstrong) Cooper; the father was a native of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. He removed from his own State to Maryland, and in 1800 came to Ohio, purchasing four hundred acres of Government land. Rebecca Armstrong was a native of Washington county, Pennsylvania, where she was married to David Cooper in 1809. They endured the dangers and hardships incident to pioneer life, and had many adventures common to the frontier. David Cooper affiliated with the Democratic party, and was a member of the Seceders' Church.

His father, David Cooper, Sr. was a native of Ireland, and his mother came from England; the first members of the family to settle in America crossed the sea to the New World in 1760, and located in Franklin county, Pennsylvania. David Cooper, Jr., father of James A., married Jemimah Rany, a daughter of Alexander and Nancy (Dickson) Kany, natives of Washington county, Pennsylvania. Alexander Kany was a soldier in the war of 1812.

James A. Cooper was born in Coitsville township, Mahoning county, Ohio, in 1845, and has all his life been a resident of this county. His early life was spent on the farm, performing the duties that fall to the lot of the farmer's son, and attending the primitive pioneer school of tbe district. He had the advantage of a course at the Iron City College, . after which he went to Michigan, and there was employed as bookkeeper for a hardware firm. He afterward returned to Coitsville and engaged in the lumber business with his uncle, John Cooper; this he continued until 1883, when he became a member of the firm of Stewart, Cooper & Company, proprietors of a tannery; this relationship existed until 1887, when he formed a partnership with D. P. Cooper, establishing the J. A. & D. P. Cooper Company; in 1892, this company was reorganized with a capital stock of $50,000, and J. A. Cooper was elected superintendent and treasurer.

Mr. Cooper was united in marriage in 1870, to Alice K. Jacobs, a daughter of Nichols and Phebe (Kirk) Jacobs, and to them have been born a family of four children: David N., Sarah L., S. Dill, and Helen M. At the age of twenty-three years Mr. Cooper began the struggle for a position in the business world. How well he has succeeded is attested by the following; he owns a fine farm under cultivation, and with his cousin, D. P. Cooper, owns the controlling interest in the Gear Works, one of the important industries of Struthers. In politics he adheres to the principles of Democracy; he has served as Justice of the Peace and has been Township Clerk for a number of years, discharging his duties to the satisfaction of the people whom he represented. He is a member of the Masonic order, belonging to the Western Star Lodge, No. 21, Youngstown Chapter, No. 93, R. A. M., and St. John's Commandry, No. 20, K. T.