Taken from History of Northeastern Ohio, Volume III
written by John Struthers Stewart; Published 1935
Raymond Asher McBride
18 Nov 1896 - 20 Jun 1966
Identified with the firm of McBride Motors, who have the agency for the Chevrolet automobile at Lowellville, Mr. McBride is numbered among the substantial citizens of Mahoning County. He is also a member of the faculty of the fifth Street School, at Struthers, having formerly been principal of the Highland Avenue School there during 1918-30. Mr. McBride was born on the old McBride homestead in Mahoning Township, Lawrence County, PA, November 18, 1896, the son of J. Freeman and Cora (Flickinger) McBride.
J. Freeman McBride, who died March 13, 1920, was a native of Pennsylvania. He was a building contractor and spent many years in business at Lowellville, where his widow resides. He was a Republican, a member of the Presbyterian Church, and belonged to the Knights of the Maccabees. To Mr. and Mrs. McBride were born three sons: 1. Raymond A., 2) Leland. 3) Harry. Both are connected with McBride Motors at Lowellville.
Raymond A. McBride's paternal grandparents were Dickson and Celesta (McFarlin) McBride, natives of Lowellville and New Bedford, PA, respectively. They are buried in the family cemetery of the Mahoning United Presbyterian church at Lowellville. Dickson McBride served for two years in the 117th Pennsylvania Volunteer artillery during the Civil War. His father was Samuel McBride, a blacksmith by trade who was employed in the construction of the old Beaver Mahoning canal.
Raymond A. McBride is a graduate of Lowellville High School, class of 1915. He attended Kent Normal School and Youngstown College, and began his teaching career at APoland Hill School No. 6 during 1915-17. He was then connected with the Lowellville public schools during 1917-18. He later was principal and now a teacher in the fifth Street School at Struthers. He has been identified with the automobile business at Lowellville since 1924 and is associated with his brothers. They have been Chevrolet dealers since January 1933.
In 1926, Mr. McBride was united in marriage with miss Marjorie Ries, daughter of Ervin and Mary Ries of Clinton, Ohio. Mr. Ries is a retired farmer.
Mr. McBride has served a president of the Lowellville Board of Education, and is a member of the Ohio Educational Association and National Educational Association. He and his wife are active members of the Presbyterian Church.