Biographical history of northeastern Ohio, embracing the counties of Ashtabula, Trumball and Mahoning Counties Published 1893
WILLIAM S. McCOMBS
9 Dec 1839 - 04 June 1917
William S. McCombs has been has known for many years as a leading business man in his county, and in the following lines will be found an outline of his career. His father, John N. McCombs, was born in Mahoning county, Ohio, about the year 1812; he died in Champion Township, Trumbull County, Ohio, in 1889. He was a carpenter by trade, but in later years engaged in agricultural pursuits, in which he was very successful. He began life for himself at the age of twenty-one years, and cleared a fine farm of two hundred acres, which is still in the possession of the family. He was a Republican in his political views, and served his township as Trustee and Clerk. He was an active member of the Presbyterian Church, of which he was a Deacon at the time of his death.
His parents were William and Mary (Nelson) McCombs, natives of the north of Ireland. John N. McCombs was married in 1838 to Mary Scott, a native of Trumbull county, Ohio, and to them three children were born: Mary, widow of John Brown, has two children, William and Laura; William S. is the subject of this sketch; Laura, wife of Henry Weiss, is the mother of two children, Carlton and Henry. The mother died in 1844, deeply lamented by all who knew her. The father was married in 1845 to Laura Scott, and they had a family of four children: Elliott, deceased; Sarah, widow of William Crawford, and the mother of three children; Charles, who resides on the old homestead; Lillie, wife of Clinton Mikesell. The mother of these children survives and resides on the old homestead.
William S. McCombs was born December 9, 1841, in Champion township, Trumbull County, and there resided with his parents until 1861. He was reared to the occupation of a farmer, and received the instruction that was offered in the pioneer schools. When the Rebellion began he enlisted in the Fourteenth Ohio Independent Battery, and was. in many important engagements, serving until 1864. He was honorably discharged, after which he returned to his home, and was variously occupied until 1868. He then came to Youngstown, Ohio, and worked at the carpenter's trade for a year. At the end of twelve months he went to Struthers, and secured employment as engineer; three years later he assumed the duties of foundryman, and held this position eleven years. Coming to Lowellville, he was made superintendent of the Ohio Iron & Steel Company, a position he has filled to the entire satisfaction of his employers and with great credit to himself.
He was married in 1867 to Miss E. J. Christy, a daughter of James and Mary (McWah) Christy, natives of Pennsylvania and Ireland, respectively. Mrs. McCombs was born in the Keystone State. Two children were born of this marriage: Fred completed a special course in chemistry in the University of Michigan, at Ann Arbor, in 1892, and is now in the employ of the Ohio Iron & Steel Company, as weighmaster and stock-house boss; John died in 1882, At the age of two years and four months.
Mr. McCombs has been rewarded with great success in the commercial world. He is a stockholder in the First Savings Bank, in the Ohio Iron & Steel Company, in the Lowell Lumber Company, and in the Lowell gristmill. In politics he adheres to Republican principles. He is a member of the Masonic order, belonging to fhe blue lodge, chapter, commandery and shrine.