Taken from History of Trumbull and Mahoning Counties, Vol. 2
written by Williams (H.Z.) & Bro., Cleveland, Ohio Published 1882
AN EARLY MARRIAGE
In 1802, Esquire Struthers at his house united in marriage a Mr. Kearney and a Miss Brierly.
Kearney lived a half mile southeast of Poland village, on land now owned by Mr. C.F. Kirtland, and his bride in the same neighborhood. In the evening after the happy pair had returned from the 'squire's, the neighbors far and near assembled at Kearney's to pay their respects to them. During the festivities of the evening, an accident occurred which dampened them to some extent.
After the bride had retired to the second story of the log house, which was reached by a ladder, the men, in endeavoring to assist the groom up the ladder, let him fall to the floor, breaking his leg.