The Gothic two story frame dwelling
was built in 1884 by Alexander Frankfort for his wife Louisa and
infant daughter Alma. The land was purchased from Thomas Struthers
Alma resided in the home for 93 years. She died at
the age of 100. Her heirs donated the residence to the Society in
1986. Members completed restoration in 1989.
No fireplaces exist in the house. Every room has
access to a side of a "turned" or "diagonal" chimney.
Small stoves kept areas heated.
The kitchen stove serves as a heating
unit in the winter when the wood burning side was used. In warmer
months, the cooler gas side would have been suitable. A dry sink
and outside pump and cistern were early sources of water. In the
far back yard stood an outhouse. A coal shed was located near the
present floral garden.
The kitchen displays the original
table and chairs of Mrs. Frankfort. Her wicker couch sits in the
front room and Mr. Frankfort's rock collection cabinet hangs on the
Alexander Frankfort was Struthers last surviving
Civil War Veteran when he died in 1930.