Biographical history of northeastern Ohio, embracing the counties of Ashtabula, Trumball and Mahoning Counties Published 1893
D. P. COOPER
13 May 1853 - 7 Jul 1909
David Perry Cooper, the head of the J. A. & Cooper Company, manufacturers of carriage wood work at Strnthers, Ohio, one of the leading business concerns of that place, is possessed of superior qualifications tor the transaction and management of business affairs, and has won an enviable reputation for his sound judgment and strict integrity. Tiubert Cooper, the father of D. P. Cooper, was born iu Coitsville township, Mahoning county, Ohio, in 1828, and there passed his life on the old homestead taken up by his father in 1800. He was a farmer by occupation, and followed agricultural pursuits all his life. Politically, he was identified with the Democratic party, and was well informed upon the leading questions of the day.
His parents were David and Rebecca (Armstrong) Cooper, whose names are mentioned in the sketch of James. A. Cooper, which will be found on another page of this volume. They reared a family of twelve children, named as follows: James, deceased; Jane, deceased; Rebecca, deceased; John, a stockholder and director of the J. A. & D. P. Cooper Company; Sarah, deceased; David, deceased; Eliza, a resident of Coitsville; Margaret, deceased; Polly, deceased; William, a citizen of Coitsville; Robert, the father of our subject; and Armstrong, who died in Kansas in 1859.
D. P. Cooper was born in Coitsville township, Mahoning County, in 1853, and resided in the place of his birth until 1871. He received a good common-school education. At the age of eighteen years he went to Yonngstown, Ohio, and there was apprenticed to Siegfried & Leniley to learn the carriagemaker's trade; he served the term of three years, and in the meantime occupied his leisure hours in study. He completed a commercial course in the night sessions of the business college, his diligence and industry winning the hearty sympathy and admiration of his employers and teachers. He followed the trade he had mastered for three years at various places, and then went to Coitsville, where he was located for ten years previous to his coming to Struthers. In 1887 the partnership was formed with J. A. Cooper. This company was reorganized in 1892, when D. P. Cooper was elected president and general manager of the J. A. & D. P. Cooper Company.
Mr. Cooper was married in 1877 to Miss Mary McClelland, a daughter of David and Mary A. (Murray) McClelland, and to them have been born three children: Ralph, Dahl and Mary. Our subject supports the issues of the Democratic party. He is a member of the I. 0. O. F. lodge No. 495, of Hubbard, Ohio. He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian Church.