THE HEASLEY FAMILY
The Heasley family came originally from Switzerland and settled in Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania. There Henry Heasley, Jr. was born and reared at Greensburg. As a young man, he came to Youngstown in 1833. He was later joined by his father and started a cabinet-making establishment. He made coffins from walnut boards, lined them and supplied the hearse for funerals for the cost of $4.oo.
In 1853 he removed to Boardman Township and purchased a farm on the Youngstown and Poland Road, known as the Asa Smith farm. One year later, he purchased a tract of land on the Poland Township side of the road. Henry Sr. died on the Asa Smith farm in 1869.
Henry Jr. was twice married. First to Mary Ann Powers, daughter of Isaac Powers. She died leaving one child, Mary Ann, who married Francis Phillip Jacobs. Second he married Rachel Adair, who was born and read in Poland township and was a daughter of James Adair. Rachel's father was one of the early pioneers of Poland Township, who came from Pennsylvania at an early day with his brother Alexander, and opened up a farm. Children were born of this union: Emily; Julia (married Daniel Davidson); Henry (married Mary Clark); Frances (married James Gibson); James; Josephine (married George Miller); Louis, who removed to the West; Veeder (married Mary Crawford) and John (married Carrie Jacobs).
Henry III was eight years old when his parents moved to the farm in Poland Township, on which he was reared and received his agricultural training. For many years he was one of the most successful and prominent farmers of Poland Township. He owned two farms; one of 103 acres on the Youngstown and Poland Road, and the other of 75 acres, situated one mile south of the village of Poland on the Poland and Springfield Road. In 1903, Mr. Heasley retired from farming and bought his fine residence property in the village of Poland, The house was built and occupied by Seldon Haynes and is a very old building, but is in first-class condition.
Note: The Heasley plat spanned across Youngstown-Poland Road into Boardman Township. The east end of the farm spanned across Fifth Street into Struthers. To the south was the Zedaker farm.
Mr. Heasley III was married in 1873 to Mary A. Clark, a daughter of John and Mary (McMillan) Clark. Mary Clarks was a sister of Rueben McMillen, superintendent of the Youngstown Schools and for whom the McMillen Libraries were names. To this union was three children. Henry Clark, who died at age 25, was a graduate of the Poland seminary, after which he took a post-graduate course at Wooster. He was studying to be a physician at the time of his death. Susan M. who married Elmour Kirkland. They had one son, Henry Kirkland. George remained at home and for some time managed the farm on the Youngstown Road. George retired to Florida.
Mr. Henry Heasley III died suddenly on New Year' Eve 1908, while in Austin's Barber Shop in Poland. The barber called "next" and as Mr. Heasley was about to step to the chair, he reeled and fell back into the arms of Mr. Austin. He expired shortly after.
Heasley descendants remain in Struthers and the surrounding area.