Biographical history of northeastern Ohio, embracing the counties of Ashtabula, Trumball and Mahoning Counties Published 1893
WILLIAM A. MORRISON, M.D.
14 Feb 1857 - 06 May 1919
William A. Morrison, M.D. a successful physician of Struthers, Mahoning county, Ohio, is a son of James F. Morrison, a native of the State of Pennsylvania. The father was born in Lawrence County in 1826, and there resided until his death. He was actively engaged in business, conducting an extensive mercantile establishment in connection with agricultural pursuits. Politically, he affiliated with the Republican party, and for several years held the office of Justice of the Peace. He was a consistent member of the Presbyterian Church and served as ruling Elder for thirty years.
At an early age he was thrown upon his own resources with only a limited education, but by diligence, frugality and thrift he accumulated a modest estate, and became one of the best informed men of his community. Employing the most honorable business methods he won a reputation for integrity and upright dealing which will be a source of pride to his posterity. He was the son of Francis and Mary Ann (Frew) Morrison, natives of Pennsylvania; his father was a prosperous farmer, and a most worthy citizen; he belonged to the United Presbyterian Church, of which he was a Trustee; his father was Joseph Morrison, who wais descended from Scotch ancestors. James F. Morrison married Anna Mehard, who was born in Lawrence County, Pennsylvania, in 1828, a daughter of Robert and Christianna (Leevendorper) Mehard, natives of Lawrence County, Pennsylvania. Robert Mehard was a millwright by occupation, and served four terms as Commissioner of his native county; he was a member of the United Presbyterian Church, of which he was ruling Elder. The parents of our subject were united in marriage in 1848, and to them were born five children: William A., the subject of this sketch; Christianna, who died at the age of eight years; Haley, who died at the age of four years; Minnie, who resides with her mother on the old homestead in Lawrence county, Pennsylvania; and Robert, a member of the class of '94 at Jefferson Medical College.
Dr. William A. Morrison was born in Lawrence county, Pennsylvania, in 1856, and received his academic education at Wurtemburg in his native county; he entered Washington and Jefferson College in 1875, and was graduated with the degree of A. B. by that renowned institution in 1879; the following fall he entered the Cleveland Medical College, and in the spring of 1881 received the diploma from this school, conferring the degree of M. D. for the second time. He then returned to his old home in Wurtemburg, and began the practice of his profession; at the end of eight months he came to Struthers, Ohio. He has won a large and profitable practice, his efforts in behalf of suffering humanity meeting with gratifying success. Dr. Morrison is the owner of a large number of dwellings in Struthers, and in addition to his professional work serves as vice-president of the Carriage Gear Works, a corporation having a capital stock of $50,000.
He was united in marriage in 1880 to Miss Mary E. Hazen, a native of Beaver county, Pennsylvania, and a daughter of Nathan and Judith (Segler) Hazen; to them have been born two children: Gertrude and James Homer. The Doctor is a Republican in his politics; he is a member of the Masonic order, belonging to the blue lodge, chapter and commandry. He and his wife are consistent members of the Presbyterian Church and most worthy residents of their community.