Biographical history of northeastern Ohio, embracing the counties of Ashtabula, Trumball and Mahoning Counties Published 1893
COLONEL JOHN STEWERT
28 May 1807 - 20 Feb 1855
Squire John Stewart, was born on his father's farm in the northwest corner of Coitsville township, Trumbull, now Mahoning, county, Ohio, May 28, 1807. He removed with his parents while a boy to a farm in the southwest part of the same township, remaining with his father until some time after attaining his majority, when he bought his father out, assuming the care of his parents for the remainder of their lives.
He attended the common schools of that day, and taught in the same one or two winter terms. He was elected Justice of the Peace at a very early period, probably at the April election before coming of age, and held the office almost continuously during the remainder of his life, being in office at the time of his death. About 1830 he spent a part or all of the year at Danville, Pennsylvania, in the employ of Major Robert Montgomery, father of Hon. Robert Montgomery of Yonngstown, Ohio. Along in the '30s he was elected Colonel of the State militia, and started with his regiment for Fort Meigs during the last contention regarding the boundary line with Great Britain. After marching a couple of days they were sent back home, owing to amicable settlement.
In 1839 he was elected County Commissioner of Trumbull county, and again to the same office in what was Mahoning county, in 1852. In 1849, in company with James D. Bryson, now of the Lovell Milling Company, he went to Big Run, near New Castle, Pennsylvania, purchased the site and rebuilt the flouring mill, recently burned, which they ran until the fall of 1850; he then sold to Mr. Bryson and returned to his Coitsville farm. In April 1851, he opened a general store at Lowellville, in company with S. H. McBride and James S. Moore, under the firm name of McBride, Stewart & Company, continuing the business until 1858. In 1853 he sold his Coitsville farm and bought the Walter Buchanan farm near Lowellville, Poland township, to which he moved. He removed to Lowellville in 1854, still running his farm and mining coal there, supplying the town of Lowell and neighboring country, and during the summer seasons shipped by the old canal to Cleveland.
He returned to the farm in 1858. He then exchanged the same for the James Adair farm at Mt. Nebo, moving there in 1860, where he continued to reside until 1880; then sold the farm, moving to the village of Struthers on account of failing health. He was one of the original members of the Struthers Iron Company, organized April 1, 1869. He spent much of his time in managing business and lands of non-residents as administrator and executor of estates, and at times was guardian for three-fourths of the orphan children in Poland and Coitsville townships. He was an old-time Whig and later a Republican; he was a member of the Seceder Church in early life, going with it to the United Presbyterian Church when the latter was organized. After a busy life he died at Struthers, October 7, 1881. He was at that time a Ruling Elder of the church.
The subject of this sketch was a grandson of Robert Stewart, of Marsh Creek, Adams county, Pensylvania, who came to Ohio in 1802, and purchased lands in Coitsville and Liberty townships, on which he located six sons and two daughters. These sons and daughters, following the traditions of their Scotch-Irish ancestor, at once, with other settlers then arriving, interested themselves in organizing what was and still is known as the Seceder Corners Church in Liberty township. The Rev. David Goodwillie, D. D., was pastor of this church for fifty years, resigning in 1875 on account of the infirmities of old age. The Stewarts were at all times a prominent feature of this church, and the ten original pioneers with many of their descendants lie buried 'neath the shadows of its walls.
John Stewart, father of the subject of this sketch, married, in 1804, Agnes Struthers, sister of John Struthers, the second settler in Poland township, arriving there in 1799; she died September 24, 1824, aged fifty-two years, leaving four children: Robert H., M. D., born 1805; John, 1807; Sarah, 1809; and Agnes, 1812. John Stewart again married, Sarah Lackey, of North Beaver, Lawrence county, Pennsylvania; he died November 16, 1838, aged seventy- one years; and Sarah, his second wife, died February 20, 1855, aged eighty-two years.
Colonel John Stewart married Mary Young Walker, January 5, 1836; she was the daughter of Isaac and Rachel Walker. Isaac Walker was a son of Nathaniel and Mary Young Walker, who came from Chester county, Pennsylvania, in 1803, and settled on a farm near Lowellville, Poland township, now owned by Thomas W. Kennedy. Isaac and Rachel were married in 1811, and settled by purchase on his father's farm, his mother having died in 1810. Mrs. Stewart was born January 5, 1813, and February 10, her father, then Captain of the United States Army of 1812, took his command to the present site of Fremont, Ohio, and there died, April 5, 1813, being buried in the camp. Rachel Walker, Mrs. Stewart's mother, born near Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, was the daughter of Gabriel and Rachel (Lowry) Walker, Rachel Lowry being the daughter of James Lowry, of county Down, Ireland and Rachel Walker, of county Londonderry, Ireland, who married and emigrated to Oxford, Chester county, Pennsylvania, before the Revolution. She, Rachel Walker, came to Ohio to visit her sister, Mrs. Joseph Porter, in 1811, and was there married; she was married a second time in 1820, to Hugh Truesdale; he died August 20, 1862; she continued to reside with her daughter Margaret, wife of Thomas W. Kennedy, on the old homestead until the time of her death, March 20, 1870. Mrs. Stewart died at Struthers, September 1, 1885; she was well educated for the times, only having attended common schools and for a short period the old academy at Canfield. She had a strong mind, a wonderful memory and large individuality.
John and Mary Stewart were the parents of seven children: Isaac W., born in Coitsville, May 27, 1838, educated in common school, about one year at Westminster College, clerked in his father's store, took a commercial course at business college, was employed by the City Bank, Cleveland, went to California in the employ of Cleveland capitalists in 1860, and was murdered by Indians at Walker's lake, Nevada, in 1865. John H., born at Coitsville, August 24, 1840, attended Canfield Academy for a short time, farmed, and taught school, married Rachel A. Moore of Poland, in 1862, studied pharmacy, and has been a successful druggist, in Washington, Iowa, for twentj-five years; they have had five children, — Charles W., M. D., and Mary A., surviving. Hugh T., born at Coitsville, June 10, 1813, attended common school, farmed, enlisted in Company A, Eigthy-sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, June 6, 1863; discharged February 10, 1864, worked a few months with Thomas W. Kennedy, building blast furnaces, but by reason of injuries received during service was unable to continue the business; took commercial course at business college, entered the employ of company then operating Lowell furnace, and was after agent for the railway company, went to Missouri in 1867, and in 1869 took charge of the office of the Struthers Iron Company at Struthers, Ohio, is still there, having been a member of the firm since 1880; he was married April 8, 1867, to Mattie de F. Ramsey, daughter of Dr. Robert Ramsey, deceased, and Mary McCreery Ramsey; they have had five children, Mabel Barton and Harry Hull, surviving. Homer E. was born at Coitsville, May 21, 1845; he graduated at Westminster College in 1867, and began the study of law with. Hon. Milton Sutliff the following fall; he attended Albany Law School, graduating in 1869, and in September of the same year became a member of the bar of Ohio, and began the practice of his profession with Judge Sutliff. September 7, 1870, he married Kate L. Sutliff, daughter of Calvin G. Sutliff, deceased ; they have three children: Milton S., Helen D. and Homer E. Albert S., born at Coitsville, September, 26, 1847, educated at Westminster College, attended theological seminary at Newburg, New York, was ordained a minister in the United Presbyterian Church, and has filled pulpits in various places, now being in charge at Redclyffe, Pennsylvania; he married April 26, 1876, Charlotte E. Campbell of New York, born in 1856, the daughter of Solomon Campbell, deceased, a native of Ireland; they have five children: Mary E., Charlotte O., John C, Solomon W., and Margaret K. Wilfred H., born at Big Run, Pennsylvania, March 30, 1850, educated in common schools, remained with his parents until grown, was in the West several years, was employed as bookkeeper for the Struthers Iron Company for three years, remaining until January 1, 1882, when he took charge of the property and business of Hon. Thomas Struthers at Struthers, which position he still holds, in connection with the secretaryship of the J. A. & D. P. Cooper Company; he married M. Lewis, of Crawfordsville, Iowa. She died June 24, 1883, leaving three children: Lewis S., John S. and Faith. Sarah Agnes, born at Coitsville, November 4, 1852, single and now residing at Wooster, Ohio.